Tuesday, February 16, 2010

But I Love My Pink Ballet Slippers

I love when I stumble upon a good documentary!

This week, I watched Random Lunacy, which is available on Hulu.com (for FREE!)

It's the story of Poppa Neutrino, a man who basically made the conscious decision to shun all material possessions and avoid any kind of traditional lifestyle. He ended up raising his family as a traveling band of street musicians, then as circus performers. For extended periods of time, the family lived on boats that they built.



I had heard about Poppa Neutrino because his daughter, Ingrid Lucia, (now an adult) is a musician in New Orleans. She has a beautiful voice and i love seeing her perform.



But the Random Lunacy doc was amazing in and of itself. It was really an odd coincidence that I happened upon a story about shedding material possessions, because that's what I've been trying to do for the last weeks. (Not to the Poppa Neutrino extreme, but in my own little way).

It's pretty ridiculous, all the things that we keep and carry with us every time we move. Sometimes the things we keep take on some special meaning for no reason other than we've had them for a long time. I've got lot's of stuff like that -- things that I think SHOULD be "important" because of where I got it, or who got it for me, but the truth is, i don't even really care much for the thing I'm keeping -- just the symbolism I've attached to it. So this week, I'm working on filling a few bags for the Salvation Army.

1 comment:

vinniede said...

In an effort to join you in this cause, I will rid myself of my collection of "sassy"........:)