Monday, March 8, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

I headed out for an early morning breakfast at Sanford's. Egg white western omlette with feta cheese, homefries, coffee, juice, 7 grain toast. $5.44. Another reason to love Astoria.

Sufficiently stuffed, I headed home. Just reaching the intersection by my apartment, I looked down and saw this:



I am completely mystified by this  -- it's not litter, not in the least. First of all, the coffee was a full, still steaming cup. It wasn't thrown down, it was set there. Secondly, the cigar was carefully laid on top of the coffee lid, to keep it from touching the street. It appeared as if someone had plopped themselves down on the curb for a little caffeine/nicotine breakfast, and then vanished. I did  a little surveillance, but there was no one in site. Regardless of the hows and whys, I loved this strange little still life. Who says there's no art in Astoria?

No comments: